Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage Slaw

I had some red cabbage sitting in my fridge and jägerschnitzel lunch tryst with my Moon Goddess looming deliciously on the horizon of temporal nearspace that was begging for a complimentary side to the Germanic meatiness, so this is what I cobbled together. This is definitely some good picnic material.



Prep time: about 20 mins.

Cooking time: none.

Est. servings: 8.






Today's Specimen



Ingredients




  • 2 cups red cabbage, sliced half-length julienne

  • 1 cup white onion, sliced half-length julienne

  • 1 cup apple (gala, Fuji, or braeburn preferably), sliced half-length alumette

  • 1 cup carrot, peeled and sliced half-length alumette

  • ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

  • 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar

  • 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

  • ¼ tsp. salt



Directions




  1. Is it too much work to just toss everything in a large mixing bowl and mix it all up? I didn't think so. Just be sure to stir it all up periodically while it's in the fridge, and to not start eating it until it's festered for at least half a day.






Next Time in the Lab



Hmm, I really like how this turned out, so I'm not sure what I'd do with it. In fact, I think I'll just leave it alone, because any even slight modification I can think of entails some kind of omission or addition that I feel will mar the delicate balance of flavors.