A neighbor of mine gave me a small bundle of rhubarb not too long ago and I started trying to figure out what I could make with the stuff, that isn't some kind of dessert. This was one of my ideas.
Prep time: about 25 mins.
Cooking time: none.
Est. servings: 7 or 8.
Today's Specimen
Ingredients
- 2 cups rhubarb, half-length julienne
- 2 cups red cabbage, half-length julienne
- 1 cup apple (gala, fuji, or braeburn), half-length julienne
- 1 cup carrot, half-length julienne
- ½ cup Greek-style plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. light agave nectar
- 1 pinch (about ⅛ tsp.) salt
Directions
- Just toss it all in a large mixing bowl and mix it up well then leave overnight in the fridge, stirring occasionally.
Next Time in the Lab
Hmm, I don't know about this. It's the rhubarb, it's just too tough and maybe a tad too bitter. The next time I try this, I'm going to blanch the rhubarb in steam for a couple minutes and then remove the outside layer. Other than that, this seems like a promising side dish, so I'm going to keep working on it.
- Steam the rhubarb for 2 - 3 minutes and peel away the tough outside layer before assembly.
- Peel the apples before assembly, too.