I've always wanted to make an adobo sauce, ever since I started using those canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I can't say that I've succeeded or failed, except that it does taste smoky, does taste kinda adobo, and it even tastes pretty good. Goes to show you how Gringo I am, I guess.
Prep time: about 20 mins.
Cooking time: about 1 hour.
Est. servings: 50+.
Today's Specimen
Ingredients
- 10 dried pascilla peppers
- 10 dried ancho peppers
- ⅔ cup yellow onion
- 2 tsp. garlic
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
Directions
- Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and process until everything is pureed together nicely.
- Transfer to a large covered pot and simmer for half an hour on medium-low, then uncover and reduce the heat to the lowest setting above warming. Stir periodically and add water by the half- or quarter-cup as needed.
Next Time in the Lab
Hmmm, I'm not so sure what I'd do next with this, except try to cut some of the smoke down and incorporate other flavors in order to make it taste less like licking a burnt stick. Yeah, it does taste good, I said, but it's too one-sided in flavor, if that makes any sense.
- Reduce the pascilla peppers to 8.
- Reduce the ancho peppers to 6.
- Change the onion to a white one and increase the amount used to 1 cup.
- Add 1 14 oz. can tomato puree.
- Increase the garlic to 2 tbsp.
- Increase the oregano to 1 tbsp.
- Increase the water to 3½ cups.