Friday, December 9, 2011

Juniper Orange Whole Cranberry Sauce

I've never used juniper berries in anything before, so when I can upon an entry on them in an online culinary reference site I decided I'd get some and start using them. Of course, it being the season, I immediately decided to make some experimental cranberry sauce with it.



Prep time  10 mins.

Cooking time  about 1 hour

Est. servings  10 - 12






Today's Specimen



Ingredients




  • 1 (12 oz.) package whole cranberries

  • 1½ cup water

  • ½ cup orange zest, in strips and sliced ½-inch wide.

  • 4 juniper berries, mashed slightly

  • ½ cup light agave nectar

  • ½ cup evaporated cane juice



Directions




  1. In a small sauce pot on medium heat simmer the water with the sugar, agave, juniper berries, and orange zest in it for about 30 minutes.

  2. Remove the juniper berries and add the cranberries and stir, then reduce the heat to medium-low once it starts to boil and allow to simmer partially covered for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.

  3. Let the sauce cool then refrigerate for at least an hour before serving, cool or at room temperature.






Next Time in the Lab



Heh, this turned out pretty good, and interesting. Kind of reminds me of gin, unfortunately. I'm thinking I'll use a little less juniper and add some ginger and another ingredient or two to round out and mellow the flavor a bit. This may end up becoming my sweetest cranberry sauce.




  • Reduce the juniper berries used from 4 to 3.

  • Add ½ tsp. fresh ginger, shredded and mashed.

  • Add 1 whole clove to the water with the orange zest and juniper berries, also to be removed with the juniper berries when the cranberries are added.

  • Add 1 star anise wedge to the water with the orange zest and juniper berries, also to be removed with the juniper berries when the cranberries are added.

  • Use the juice of the two oranges with the water, so the total liquid remains at 1½ cups.