Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Summer Dill Salad

I found a recipe for a salad like this on a tag on some carrots I bought at a store one day, years ago, and this is the result of my effort to recreat it. This is the perfect summer picnic side, slightly tangy and sweet, to accompany the potato or macaroni salad.



Prep time: about 10 mins.

Cooking time: none.

Est. servings: 8.






Today's Specimen



Ingredients




  • 2 cups red onion, small dice

  • 2 cups carrot, peeled and small dice

  • ⅔ cup fresh dill, chopped fine

  • ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil

  • ½ cup apple cider vinegar

  • ¼ tsp. salt



Directions




  1. Just toss it all in a mixing bowl and stir so that everything is evenly distributed and coated with the liquid solution. Place in the fridge for at least four hours — preferably overnight — stirring occasionally.






Next Time in the Lab



I think this calls for some cucumber!




  • Add 1⅓ cup small-diced cucumber.

  • Reduce the red onion to 1⅓ cup.

  • Reduce the carrot to 1⅓ cup.